Monday, January 20, 2014

Nathanael's Baptism

My little man turned 8 on December 3rd. I still remember when I was trying to get pregnant with him, and how it felt like we had waited SO long to have that baby, and suddenly he's 8 years old! Nobody can prepare you for the time warp that happens once you have kids. Time goes by so much faster as you watch your miracles grow and mature and change. It's amazing and scary all at once.

Nathanael decided he wanted to be baptized a member of the church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints. Just as I did with Karleah when she was 8, I made sure Nathanael understood it was HIS choice, he did not have to be baptized. It was a decision only he could make, and he insisted he wanted to follow Jesus Christ. I was so proud of him.

On December 1st, it hit me that Nathanael's baptism was only a few days away and I suddenly got into panic mode. I had to plan food, invite people, buy, plan, and print programs. It was going to be the first "big" event since Nathanael's dad got married and I was nervous how things would go if the newer part of Nathanael's family came, the family I do not know. I was caught in a whirlwind and felt like a failure because I didn't make cute announcements, and have a fun photo session for the event. I hate the pressure that is put on parents for these things.

About midnight the day before the baptism, I printed the schedule. Nathanael had asked me to say the opening prayer, I had found a pianist in the ward, I was to lead the music, Karleah was giving a talk, his cousin Hiram was giving a talk, and Andrea, his step-mom, was giving the closing prayer. When we got up that Saturday morning to get ready for Nathanael's big day, he was miserable. Fever, cough, stuffy nose, sore throat, achy, he had it all. I considered postponing but my little guy was so brave and tough.

Before the baptism, Nathanael received a priesthood blessing. So unexpected but so necessary. I was proud of my son for asking for that blessing. It meant that this was really his choice, he really did have faith that he could be made well through the power of the priesthood, and he wasn't just choosing baptism because it is what you do when you turn 8.

Although I wasn't the "perfect" mom that I hoped to be that day, and things didn't go as perfectly as I imagined, my son's baptism was perfect. The spirit was there, and I know he made the right choice for him.

This post is pretty late, but I am so grateful to all that came and made the day special for Nathanael, it meant a lot to me!

No comments:

Post a Comment